My family has always been involved in Emergency Services. I grew up hearing about fires, car accidents, and medical emergencies in our community and helping my grandmother bring coffee and cookies to fire scenes as part of the Ladies Auxiliary. I always wanted to be involved in helping people and serving my community. I began my work in Emergency Services when I turned 18 and have been involved ever since.
I became fascinated by the world of medicine and was fortunate to graduate from the first Physician Assistant class at Rochester Institute of Technology. I have been practicing as a PA since 1995 in various settings, including primary care practice and specialty settings both in the hospital and in outpatient settings.
Growing up in the country, I was exposed to firearms and hunting from an early age. I received my pistol permit many years ago but did not do much with it until I was introduced to Rochester Personal Defense. My husband and I saw that the Utah/Florida permit class was being offered locally and we signed up. I was so impressed with the training that I just continued to take classes until I was invited to become a member of the team. I especially enjoy working with the Rochester Personal Defense Women’s Training Division. My favorite part is seeing women so empowered after just an eight hour class day.
I appreciate that RPD focuses on safety and emergency preparedness, not just firearms training. I truly believe that everyone should have CPR and basic hemorrhage control training. We can’t predict when we might become a spontaneous responder at an emergency scene.
Having been involved in the emergency services more than half my life, having a good sense of situational awareness is now second nature to me. This is important as an emergency responder and medical provider but just as important in everyday life. As a caregiver and educator, it is a privilege to help students develop this skill set. It is so important to train regularly, especially for high yield, low frequency situations.
My favorite quote explains my philosophy:
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” — Edmund Burke
- 1995. New York State Dept. of Health Certified First Responder
- 1995. -Present American Heart Association Advanced Cardiac Life Support
- 1995. -Present American Heart Association Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS)
- 1996. -2013 New York State Dept. of Health Emergency Medical Technician
- 2011. Advanced Trauma Life Support (ATLS)
- 2011. Council for Accreditation in Occupational Hearing Conservationist
- 2012. Basic Disaster Life Support
- 2012. Advanced Disaster Life Support
- 2012. American Burn Life Support
- 2013. Rochester Personal Defense, LLC Instructor Training and Development Program
- 2013. Fundamentals of Critical Care Support
- 2013. NRA Certified Instructor for Basic Pistol
- 2013. Advanced Medical Life Support (AMLS) Instructor
- 2013. New York State Dept. of Health Emergency Medical Technician-Paramedic
- 2013. NRA Certified Instructor for Personal Protection Inside The Home
- 2013. NRA Certified Instructor for Home Firearm Safety
- 2014. NRA Certified Instructor for Basic Shotgun
- 2014. Rochester Personal Defense, LLC Instructor Training Refresher
- 2015. Masters of Physician Assistant Studies-Education
- 2016. Defensive Handgun 1 Instructor for The Second Amendment Foundation’s Training Division (SAFTD)
- 2016. FAST Handgun Instructor for The Second Amendment Foundation’s Training Division (SAFTD)
- 2016. Range Safety Officer rating for The Second Amendment Foundation’s Training Division (SAFTD)
- New York State EMS Certified Lab Instructor
- New York State EMS Certified Instructor Coordinator
- American Heart Association CPR Instructor
- Emergency Care and Safety Institute Instructor
- Advanced Medical Life Support (AMLS) Instructor
- Prehospital Trauma Live Support (PHTLS) Instructor
- NRA Basic Pistol
- Ladies Handgun training courses with Rochester Personal Defense, LLC
- Ladies only courses for handgun safety and training
- Adult Mental Health First Aid Instructor
- Paramedic-Gates Volunteer Ambulance Service, Inc.
- Board of Directors Member & Secretary for the Society for Total Emergency Programs (STEP) Council of the Genesee Region, Inc.