For this class, you will need the following items:
- A modern, serviceable, center-fire handgun (Semi-automatic Highly Recommended)
- Ear and Eye protection (electronic muffs preferred).
- Strong Side Holster NOTE: For safety reasons on the range our classes will use Strong Side Holsters only! – (No cross draws, shoulder rigs, pocket holsters, ankle, appendix or small of the back carry). Blackhawk Serpa and similar holsters which require the use of the index finger to deactivate a retention device will not be used in SAFTD classes. The ONLY exception is for Law Enforcement & Military who are issued these types of holsters for duty use.
- No pocket guns or holsters such as Ruger LCP etc. You will be presenting the gun from concealment and reholstering repeatedly. You need to be proficient at this task and have a holster that does not collapse when the gun is removed.
- Semi-Automatic Pistol or Double Action Revolver .38 special or 9mm or above.
- 150 Rounds of Ammunition: Factory fresh ammo only. NO RELOADS or specialty ammo such as RIP ammo etc.
- Two extra functional magazines (semi-autos) or speed-loaders (revolvers)
- Dual Magazine carrier optional but HIGHLY recommended.
- Comfortable clothing, knee-pads (optional but recommended).
- Hydration system or Bottled water.
- Shoes that are comfortable with sufficient support to permit a full range of motion. No sandals or flip-flops.
- Long Pants, Shirt With Higher Collar
- Sturdy Belt
- Baseball Cap
The goal of the Second Amendment Foundation Training Division’s Defensive Handgun 1 course is to provide the student with a solid foundation in basic knowledge of handgun safety, various types of handguns, an understanding of ammunition and how it functions, shooting fundamentals and an introduction to defensive shooting skills.
A student new to the use of a firearm for personal defense typically has a broad range of questions and is faced with learning a number of skills that are critical in the use of a firearm in this case a handgun to defend themselves, their family or someone in their charge. Defensive Handgun 1 is specifically designed to provide a person new to handguns the opportunity to gain that knowledge and learn those skills.
SAFTD Defensive Handgun I
Prerequisites: You must be legal to possess and shoot a handgun according to state and federal laws.
Out of stock
Get notified when this course is available
No classes available - Subscribe to get notified
0 Has Sold
Safe handling of your firearm
Safe Storage of your firearm and ammunition
Basic components of a Double Action Revolver
Basic components of a Semi-Automatic Pistol
Operation of a Double Action Revolver
Operation of a Single and a Double Action Semi-Automatic Pistol
Working With A Natural Defensive Stance
2-Handed and Single Handed Engagements
Integrating The Color Code Into Your Life
Finding Your Balance of Speed and Precision
Clearing Common Pistol Stoppages
Progressive Shooting Drills
Definition of Cover and Concealment
Use of Cover
Selecting a Pistol and Ammunition
Cleaning and Maintain your Pistols